Saturday, May 1, 2010

Week 14: Discussion Question #3

3). Pick one concept from the assigned reading, that we have not already discussed, that you found useful or interesting and discuss it.

The concept that stood out to me was avoidance. This is defined as a "strategy entails withdrawing from the conflict."(Harris, 237)
I thought this concept related to me the best. I think that in many situations of conflict I do not want to argue or even make the effort to come up with constructive reasoning, so I find myself jut giving up or withdrawing from the situation all together.

A great example of this was when I was talking to me parents about school and the raise in price of summer school. Now, my parents felt that it was too much money to take summer classes and I was thinking it wasn't the price of the classes. I just want to get the classes over with so I can graduate. In this situation when they started to yell about how much I was paying I just completely avoided the situations and walked away withdrawing myself from the conflict that was arising. I think that in many situations where I do not want to argue I withdraw from the conflict. The only problem with doing this is that the problem seems to arise again and again until it is solved.

2 comments:

  1. I also liked this term and how you described it with your example. I believe that sometimes it's easier to just throw in the towel and stop all the arguing. But there's also maybe a time to stand up for yourself and what you believe in. For example, my dad and I used to get in to large arguments that would never end, but I always remembered how stubborn my dad is and how he is "never" wrong in these situations. So I decide that it's better for our future relationship that I just say he's right because I know that it will never end in my favor. Now that I live away from home, he appreciates what I did in those situations, And even though he never expresses it, I know he still loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetheart,
    The concept that you found interesting was avoidance. That is one of the most important concepts in this chapter. Withdrawing defining this concept really well. The example you shared with about school and your parents getting mad about the money situation, is a situation I can relate to. It was more when I was at community college, I was working and going to school at the same time. I was paying for everything just to show my parents I can be responsible. We got into an argument over how long it was taking me to graduate and transfer over to sjsu. We have this fight over and over, and I just ignored what they said, although it hurt me because what they said, I just walked away from the situation so that it would not get worse, but it does get worse like you said until it does get solved. Great post

    ReplyDelete