Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Week 16: Discussion Question #1

1). How does CMC differ from f2f communication? (Think outside the box).

When reading the chapter this week it gave many strong ideas to what CMC and FTF are but I think that there is more depth to these ways of communicating. I have always felt that there is a lack of explanation for these two topics. I feel that it is easily defined but not enough examples are given for each. I am a visual learner so maybe this is way I want more explanation.

In my opinion FTF communication is a much more efficient way of communicating. Where as CMC is a text based relationship so there is a lack of emotion and a lot of misunderstanding. FTF communication you are able to express emotion through body position or posture, facial expressions, tone of voice, context of environment, etc. When communicating through text there is a lack of these things and I think at times it can lead to miscommunication or frustration because these are not understood. I feel that technology advances are wonderful and I a frequent user of most up to date technology. But, things like IM and text messaging are a great example of this. There are ways to show emotion over texting by using smiley faces, or exaggerating words but it does not compare to FTF communication. Another thing about texting or IM is that at times there is a delay in the conversation. Where as a FTF conversation would have a start and an end, a continuous conversation. All of these specific things can make it difficult to understand the message because it could be missing personality, voice tone, emotion and this can lead to misunderstanding. A message can be written one way and interpreted a completely different way. I feel that these two concepts are interesting because they are both ways of communicating similarly but are very different as well because they can enhance and lack communication at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sweetheart,

    I enjoyed reading your post and I think you made some very valid points on why face to face communication is preferable over CMC. I agree that there is a lack of emotion when we use CMC versus F2F; however, I think it really depends on who we are talking to and also what the message is in regards to. For example, I know that when I am talking to my friends, and I type in all CAPS with many exclamation points, it is understood that I am angry or excited about something. I think that as we progress further into the technological age, more and more people are turning to CMC which I think can contribute to the fact that while there may be a lack of that "personal touch", most people are still able to hear and understand what other people are saying without having to communicate face to face and not lose the message itself.

    ReplyDelete